Teacher Profile – Ms. Leslie Martin

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teacher Profile – Ms. Leslie Martin

SyBrialle S., Reporter

Ms. Leslie Martin, a 7th, 8th, and 9th grade teacher, is a teacher that many students don’t know or recognize. But when you are in her classroom, you will most likely learn that she is a dedicated teacher who cares about her students.

This is Ms. Martin’s second year teaching at Darby, but she has been teaching for 13 years in all. She chose to become a teacher, because she, “wanted to help prepare students for the future. My mom was a teacher for 33 years and I have several aunts and uncles in my family that are teachers so it runs in my family.” Her advice to a student looking to become a teacher would be: “Make sure you are in teaching for the right reasons. Being a teacher isn’t easy at times, but it’s very rewarding when you love your students and you care about their future.”

Before teaching, she went to college and received a degree in Business Administration, and was a mortgage loan officer at a bank for ten years before she got into education. When she isn’t teaching, she enjoys “attending Razorback games, reading, traveling, and cooking.”

Her teaching philosophy is, “is to equip students with all the information and skills they need to be successful in high school and beyond.” She structures her time by trying to, “stay very organized and keep a planner so that I know what to plan for and try to stay on top of things. I also make sure to have some relaxation time so that I don’t let stress get me down and I always stay focused on the positives in life and teaching.”

Ms. Martin does not plan on retiring any time soon. When asked she replied, “No! I love what I do and I love being at Darby! I cannot imagine doing anything else in my life.”