The Ranger

Darby Cheer Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Darby Cheer Team

The Darby Cheerleading Team at Cheer Camp, Summer 2018.

K. Humphrey

K. Humphrey

K. Humphrey

Jourdynn W. and Shavonna S.

The 2018-19 Darby cheer team is a group of dedicated athletes. They use their routines and stunts to support school spirit and the Darby Junior High School athletic teams.

Ms. Kim Humphrey, Darby Cheer sponsor, said, “This is my 28th year of teaching. I have taught most elementary grades 1-6 before moving to secondary to teach 8th grade Career Development.” She was always curious about what it would be like to sponsor/coach an athletic team. When the opportunity came open, she accepted the offer. She sponsors/coaches both cheer and dance teams. She has two volunteers that assist her in teaching the choreography. “Some of the cheers, chants, and routines for both teams came from the cheer and dance camp each team attended this past summer,” she said. “This is my second year to be the sponsor/coach for both teams.”

Aaliyah Jordan, 9th grade, started cheerleading because she just wanted to try something new when she was little.  She was inspired by her mom to try cheerleading. Her mom was a cheerleader and her grandmother was a cheerleader. “I was 7 years old when I started cheerleading,” Jordan said.

Jordan wants to be a pediatrician when she grows up. She likes to help people and lead others and encouraged them.

Brianna Grimes started cheerleading because she likes to do fun activities and likes to dance. “My mom inspired me to become a cheerleader,” Brianna said. Brianna started cheerleading when she was 12 years old. She likes to entertain people while she’s dancing.

Lianna Grimes, Brianna’s twin sister, said it was her friends who inspired her to try it out. Lianna’s mom also encouraged her. “I don’t want to be cheerleader in the future. I want to play softball,” Lianna said. She loves cheerleading because she gets to see her friends and just have a good time. Lianna started cheerleading when she was 9 years old.

Cheerleading was passed down from an earlier genereation in the Grimes family. Brianna and Lianna’s mother used to be a cheerleader.

Autumn Hartley, also a 9th grader, watched a video of cheerleaders doing a cheer and it inspired her to try it. Her big sister also inspired her. “I love to dance,” Hartley said. She was 14 years old when she started cheer. Her twin sister Summer also tried out, and they both made the squad, making the second set of twins on the team this year.

That is the Darby Junior High School Cheer team.

Jourdynn W., Reporter

Jourdynn is an 8th grader. This is her first year of journalism. Jourdynn's hobbies are playing on her phone and she enjoys doing hair. Her favorite subject...