Caffeine Crisis and Coffee Surprises

Back to Article
Back to Article

Caffeine Crisis and Coffee Surprises

Irene, Reporter

Whether buying it or making it themselves, several students at Darby Jr. High start their day with a cup of sweetened coffee or an energy drink. What they don’t know can be harmful to their health.

Most energy drinks and coffee contain high amounts of caffeine to give you that exhilarating start to your day to get rid of any leftover grogginess from sleep. Due to this, these drinks are extremely common for some teens and preteens.

Drinks such as a 16 fl oz can of Red Bull, Monster Energy, and just a normal cup of coffee can have around 90 to 185 milligrams of caffeine.  The suggested amount of caffeine that should be consumed is 100 mg, and did you know that a grande size cup of coffee from Starbucks can have up to 95 to 200 mg of caffeine? Drinking more than just one serving of the drink can already be harmful for your health. Consuming more than one cup of coffee or an energy drink a day can lead to insomnia, restlessness, nervousness, upset stomach, muscle tremors, and irritability. You probably wouldn’t want to deal with these problems.

Another problem would be all the sweetness in coffees that are consumed everyday. They are usually over-sweetened and covered with whipped cream, chocolate, and coffee creamer. Even if you get rid of the bitter coffee taste with the sweets, too much can be bad for you. If coffee is consumed regularly with all that sugar, it can be the equivalent to diabetes in a cup.

You can still continue drinking coffee and energy drinks and decide to disregard all the health problems. If you do continue drinking coffee and energy drinks regularly, you should consider trying to reduce drinking one cup a day and put less sugar in your coffee.